Spark

This the forum for general OOC discussions.

Spark

Postby Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Background:
Sparks, Crazy Geniuses, Madboys. A Spark is basically a person who is able to achieve a intuitive understanding of the mechanics of the universe. Using this understanding they able build devices that allow them to achieve seemingly supernatural results.

Base Class:
Can be found here
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/artificer

Changes:

** Alignment is now unrestrained, however Chaotic character add a +2 the DC of their "spells" and +2 to checks to overcome Spell Resistance, and non-Chaotic gain the Toughness Feat for free.
** Weird Science Devices are changed in the following way
----- Psuedo-Science Rule: EVERY weird science device must have a psuedo-science explaination for it. If you can not develop one that is acceptable to the GM, then you can not make a device that replicates that spell.
------ Each device can immulate only 1 spell.
------ Creating a device requires an investment of 20 gp.
------ Each device requires 10 minutes per day being recharged and undergoing routine maintainence. If this is not done the device becomes inactive. If this maintainence is done within a fully stocked lab worth at least 1000 gp, this time is halved. If this maintainence is done while performing a nonstressful activity (riding, walking, eating) this time is doubled. It is effectively costless to maintain a device. A lapsed device can be restored to service by spending 10 gp and spending 2 hours restoring it to function (an allowing another device to lapse of course)
------ Each device weighs between 2 and 7 lbs.
** Sparks can not scribe scrolls
** Item Creation: Uses Spellcraft in place of Craft
** At 20th Level, instead of "Exemplar", a Spark gets "Great Work". A Great Work is a cummulation of a lifetime of study. The Spark creates a truly awesome work of science. The details are worked out with the ST. Examples from Girl Genius: Castle Heterodyne, Castle Wulfenbach, Hive Engine, Summoning Engine
Last edited by Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_Coltharp

Re: Spark

Postby Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Examples of Weird Science Devices

• Rapid Slug Slime Injector. Using slime from a common troll slug as a base, this device coaxes slime from this quick healing slug, passes it through a aetheric field to enhance its potency, and then injects it into a target.
o Cure Light Wounds
• Solidified Aether Gun. Using charged crystals this gun solidifies Aether for a few moments into a shape of a bolt. The bolt is directed unerringly by a psychic impression left by the wielder upon creation.
o Magic Missile
• Personalized Shield Generator. Creates a magnetic field / pan-dimensional buffer around the use that deflects and stops attacks upon their person.
o Shield
• Chameleon Aura Transmogifer. This device supercharges and tunes a person’s personal magnetic aura to the point that it can actually bend light around the target, rendering them invisible.
o Invisibility
• Rapid Tiger Blood Injector. Works on the same base principals as the Rapid Slug Slime Injector except this time what is injected is concentrated blood generated tiger marrow and a testicle suspended in a sustaining organic fluid.
o Bull’s Strength
• Time Dilator. This device works by increasing the progression of time around targets.
o Haste
• Advanced Aura Transmogifier. Like the Chameleon Aura Transmogifer, this device supercharges and tunes the person’s personal magnetic aura, except it goes a step further and places an image of the target several inches to a few feet away from the target.
o Displacement
Last edited by Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_Coltharp

Postby Elwe on Wed May 11, 2011 7:03 pm

I like it, except for one thing (at least for now). The weight of the items. If you're not playing a Dwarf, you're getting bogged down quickly if you want to be usefully diverse. If the Items could hold duplicate a number of spells equal to their weight, I think that would allow for other races to get into that class without having to shoot their Strength up to ridiculous proportions.
*poof* vanish
Elwe
Not-a-ninja

Postby Adrian_McCloud on Wed May 11, 2011 7:04 pm

i'm a bit uneasy about including an artificer class, since the 3.5 DnD had it and it was easily as or more powerful than a high level wizard (which, by the way, is otherwise the most powerful class if played correctly). I'll have to look at the old version and compare. 'Course, to play spark at all someone would have to reroll anyway and I don't think anybody really wants to right now.
Holy crap i didn't know about the amount of material on this website. They implemented psychers already? I wanna play a psycher! or something else cool.
Last edited by Adrian_McCloud on Wed May 11, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian_McCloud

Postby Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Elwe wrote:I like it, except for one thing (at least for now). The weight of the items. If you're not playing a Dwarf, you're getting bogged down quickly if you want to be usefully diverse. If the Items could hold duplicate a number of spells equal to their weight, I think that would allow for other races to get into that class without having to shoot their Strength up to ridiculous proportions.

Yeah, I had that thought also. Here are my concerns:
-- I want to emphasize that these "magical" effects are being brought about by devices. The device has to have a signficant weight.
-- Sparks should not be wimpy wizards. They are scientists that get their hands dirty.
-- I want some reasonable limit for how many devices the Spark is carrying at one time. If he is carrying 10 guns so he can have a lot of blast spells then it seems a little silly.

Of course a Spark could always have an assistant who carries his extra gear. The assistant is very much a part of the mad scientist theme.

At high levels though, the number of devices would get very heavy.

One thought is to have a scaling factor. As a spark gets more powerful they find ways to make their devices lighter. Suggestions?
Last edited by Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_Coltharp

Postby Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Adrian_McCloud wrote:i'm a bit uneasy about including an artificer class, since the 3.5 DnD had it and it was easily as or more powerful than a high level wizard (which, by the way, is otherwise the most powerful class if played correctly). I'll have to look at the old version and compare. 'Course, to play spark at all someone would have to reroll anyway and I don't think anybody really wants to right now.
Holy crap i didn't know about the amount of material on this website. They implemented psychers already? I wanna play a psycher! or something else cool.

The good thing about these guys is that they max out at 4th Level Spells. So an equal level wizard should not be steamrolled. If a player is wanting pure power I think this class would not be for them. However the class can be very versitile. Give a spark a day or two and they are the equilivant of a blasting sorcerer, give another day or so and they can become a cleric, give another day or so and they can become a druid.

I plan to test this class out on some NPCs first. I have a custom NPC who this class would fit perfect for.

As for psychers, I personally have never cared much for them in a fantasy setting. They feel a little too sci-fi.
Last edited by Tim_Coltharp on Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim_Coltharp

Postby Elwe on Thu May 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Okay, with the weight thing, remember I mentioned 1 spell per pound on an item. Part of the issue is the daily maintenance. That can quickly degenerate into hours. And you have problem with them carrying ridiculous numbers of guns. They could do that anyway, and they will if they can only have 1 spell per item. If we did it at 1 spell per pound, it would totally depend on the Spark what kind of build they are. They could be really smart, but not really strong and still be useful. Additionally, a Spark is going to be wearing armor. And weapons. That's going to have an effect on their remaining carrying capacity. If the item has multiple spells, they could be required as a free action to 'flip a switch' to change the spell.
You also didn't mention their 'spellcasting' stat. I get the feeling it would be Intelligence, but somehow Strength seems almost as appropriate.
And what happens at higher levels? Once they get to a certain level, they're going to be nigh useless themselves in combat; They'll be forced to be support in the background. You could 'duplicate' Domains concept from clerics. They have access to any 4th level or lower spell. beyond that, any spell they want access to has to fall into their Domain(s), and they'd need you to confirm or deny access to said spell.
When do they get access to the higher spell levels? They can't start out with access to 4th level spells. That would make them god-tier up to a certain point.
Not to mention their Hit Dice sucks (d6? really?). Some Sparks might go to the fore of battle, and some won't. I think the HD should be a d8. It's not so weak that a Spark would have to hide in the back, and it's not so strong that the Spark would overshadow any of the real fighters.
Last edited by Elwe on Thu May 12, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*poof* vanish
Elwe
Not-a-ninja

Postby Tim_Coltharp on Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 pm

My goal is not make sure that this class is equal in power to established class. That takes a lot of tweaking and testing. My goal is to make sure that this class offers an interesting option to existing classes without making creating something that is more powerful than existing classes. To that end I would rather end up with a class that is a little weaker than existing options than one that accidently ended up too powerful. If a PC chooses this class because it is better than the others and not because they want to play a mad scientist, then to me that means I made the class to powerful.

I think one thing I could allow devices that have similar psuedo-scientific explainations to be combined into the same physical object. For example the "Rapid Slug Slime Injector" and the "Rapid Tiger Blood Injector" could be combined. Switching between effects is a swift action.

Yeah, that is kind of annoying that they forgot the Spell Stat. Let's make it easy and just go with Intelligence.

Adding the ablity to duplicate Domian powers would be something to look into, but I want to keep things simple for now.

I am pretty comfortable with the maintence rules. They can maintain their equipment when the clerics and wizards are studying.

One thing the system missed was level-0 devices. To keep it easy, you max number of level-0 devices = number of level-1 devices. Level-0 devices can be maintained in half the time.
Tim_Coltharp

Postby Elwe on Fri May 13, 2011 2:22 pm

With the Domain thing, what I meant was to try and make them roughly on par with existing classes, because if they can only duplicate up to 4th level spells, they're going to lose the power game and fall into the cracks quickly when real danger shows up. They have low power and low HD. When I said 'Domain', I meant they select two Cleric Domains, they don't get Domain powers, but now they can access any spells beyond 4th level that are ONLY JUSTIFIED WITHIN THAT DOMAIN(in other words, they can go beyond 4th level spells only for any spells that you consider acceptable as being defined within their two Domains).

I would more equate the Spark to an Alchemist than a Wizard, and thus the HD should be d8.
*poof* vanish
Elwe
Not-a-ninja

Postby Tim_Coltharp on Fri May 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Granting them some domain spells seems arbitrary and unneccessary. On thing you have to bear in mind is that by the time a Spark can make devices with level-4 spells, they are able to dependablly "cast" it 7 times. That is on par with a Sorcerer. And if you compare a 5th level Spark to a 5th level wizard, sure a wizard can change out his spells more quickly, but if you give a spark a solid day to prepare they could change out most of their devices and be able to use each of them dependablly 3 times as much as a wizard. Giving them access to spells above 4th level (even in a limited fashion) will make them strictly superior to every spell casting class.

Also I want to stick to the KISS principal. Any changes made should be limited to eliminating glaring advantages and filling in important details that were over looked.

Considering a Spark could choose to load up on blasting arcane spells, I think it is fair to keep their hit points at 1d6. Remember my goal is to make sure that they are not exceeding the strength of existing classes, so it can be argued that a Spark loaded with blasting arcane spells AND 1d8 hit die AND superior fortitude saves is strictly superior to a wizard or sorcerer.
Tim_Coltharp

Next

Return to General - OOC